Posts for category: Dermatology
Have you heard of BOTOX but wonder exactly what it is? BOTOX injectables have both medical and aesthetic uses. At Dermatology Associates in Indianapolis, Dr. Sonya Campbell Johnson, board-certified dermatologist, administers this popular FDA-approved medication to patients who wish to look younger and feel their best. Learn more about the benefits BOTOX could give you.
What is BOTOX?
It's a purified, safe form of the protein called Botulinum clostridium. Injected under the skin of selected areas of the face, BOTOX Cosmetic in Indianapolis reduces the movement of muscles which control the eyebrows, sides of the mouth, forehead and more. Muscle relaxation translates to fewer and shallower lines and wrinkles associated with simple aging (called dynamic wrinkling).
A slightly different form of BOTOX may be used to control hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating. Patients who suffer from excessive sweating usually do not respond to prescription deodorants and medications and experience dripping-wet body, underarm, feet, hand, and facial sweating, says the American Academy of Dermatology.
Do you qualify for BOTOX?
Dr. Sonya Campbell Johnson administers BOTOX right in the office. First, she reviews a patient's medical history and inspects the skin features in question. If all is well, injections take just a few minutes and produce a mild stinging sensation. Redness, tenderness and some swelling often occur but resolve quickly.
Noticeable results appear almost immediately with full effects taking 24 to 48 hours. While BOTOX and BOTOX Cosmetic don't last forever, they do stop excessive sweating or smooth wrinkles for up to six months or longer. Then, injections may be repeated.
BOTOX and BOTOX Cosmetic have many benefits. They are:
- Fewer obvious wrinkles and lines on the face and neck
- Less sweating
- Comfortable short, in-office procedures
- No recovery time (get back into your normal routine right away)
- Therapeutic effect of injections increases with subsequent treatments
- No oral medications, invasive surgeries or complex treatment regimens
Find out more
At Dermatology Associates, Dr. Sonya Campbell Johnson and her staff recommend BOTOX to both men and women. Could you be one of them? For a personal consultation on this wonderful aesthetic and medical treatment, please call our office at (317) 257-1484 or email us at [email protected] We have three convenient locations in Indianapolis, Batesville, and Tipton.
Has your skin become wrinkled due to sun damage and aging? If so, and you want a change, you might be a good candidate for Botox. This cosmetic treatment, which is used to smooth lines in the skin, tops the list of the most in-demand minimally invasive dermatological solutions according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Contact Dr. Sonya Campbell Johnson at Dermatology Associates in Batesville, Tipton, and Indianapolis, IN to find out if Botox is the ideal way to make your skin smoother and younger-looking.
How Does Botox Work?
There are muscles under your skin that allow you to move and contort the various areas of your face. Over time, constantly making facial expressions, scrunching the forehead, and squinting the eyes can cause these muscles to form lines in the skin. Botox freezes those muscles, sending a message to them that they should stop contracting. This causes the hardened expression lines to soften and give you a more pleasant appearance after just a few days.
A Good Botox Candidate
A number of skin rejuvenating facial treatments are available at Dermatology Associates in Batesville, Tipton, and Indianapolis, IN, but many patients find that they are good candidates for Botox. Before getting Botox you should:
- Provide your dermatologist with a full medical history (including medications).
- Have relatively good skin elasticity.
- Be over the age of 18.
The Appointment for Botox Injections
It is a minimally invasive procedure that takes about 15 minutes. You'll sit in the doctor’s chair as the targeted areas of the face are numbed with a topical ointment, then small injections will be made. Many patients find Botox injections to be very easy to tolerate, especially considering the brevity of the appointment.
Smoother Skin After One Appointment
With Botox injections, your dermatologist can help you achieve smoother skin after just one visit. Call today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Sonya Campbell Johnson at Dermatology Associates. She has offices in Batesville, Tipton, and Indianapolis, IN. For the Indianapolis location, call (317) 257-1484. For Batesville, phone (800) 303-3228, and in Tipton, call (765) 675-1410. Or email us at [email protected]
What are the symptoms of and treatments for this painful dermatological condition?
Did you know that anyone who has had chickenpox is at risk for shingles, and that those over the age of 50 are more likely to develop this condition? Approximately one out of three Americans will have shingles at some point in their lives. Read on to learn more about this common problem.
What is shingles?
Shingles is caused by a virus known as the varicellazoster virus, which is the same virus known to cause chickenpox. If you’ve had chickenpox before the virus never truly goes away. Instead it lies dormant within the nerves of the spinal cord and brain. When the virus is reactivated, it manifests as shingles.
What are the symptoms of shingles?
The main symptom of shingles is a red, painful rash that usually appears on one side of the body. The rash may be tender to the touch and typically causes intense itching. The rash is made up of blisters that burst and crust over. Your rash may also be accompanied by malaise, fever, or headache.
What are the risk factors for shingles?
Anyone who has been infected by chickenpox can have shingles. However, this illness is more common in those over the age of 50 and the risk continues to increase as you age.
Also, those who have a weakened immune system due to certain chronic diseases like HIV, or those currently undergoing cancer treatment may be at an increased risk of developing shingles.
Different shingles treatments
While there is no cure for this disease there are antiviral medications you can take to promote faster healing and to reduce your risk of developing other complications. If you are experiencing severe pain, we may also recommend prescription pain medications or creams to help ease your symptoms. Most people experience shingles symptoms for about two to six weeks.
Can I prevent shingles?
There are two vaccines that we recommend for preventing shingles. The first is the chickenpox vaccine, which is recommended for children and any adults who have never had chickenpox. The second vaccine is the shingles vaccine. While these vaccines aren’t 100 percent effective, they can greatly reduce your chances of developing shingles.
If your shingles rash has developed near your eye or is severely painful, then it’s time to see your dermatologist right away for treatment.
What your dermatologist in Indianapolis, Indiana wants you to know about chemical peels
You’ve probably heard about chemical peels and you might be wondering what they can do for you. The truth is if you want smoother skin, with fewer wrinkles, fine lines, and imperfections, chemical peels can help. Chemical peels can help rejuvenate and revitalize your skin, helping you look younger.
Dr. Sonya Campbell Johnson at Dermatology Associates wants to introduce you to what chemical peels can do for you. She has three convenient office locations in Indianapolis, Batesville, and Tipton, Indiana to help you and your skin.
Chemical peels are a major tool to fight aging and lessen the appearance of skin imperfections. They contain materials like glycolic and trichloroacetic acid. These acids work to slough away the dead skin and debris from the epidermis, the upper layer of your skin. The material is applied, left on for a short period of time, and then rinsed off, revealing healthy, dewy, younger-looking skin.
Chemical peels aren’t just for use on your face. In fact, they can be used to reduce skin imperfections on your neck, chest, hands, arms, legs, and back. Chemical peels have been used for years because they are safe, minimally invasive, and require little to no downtime, allowing you to get back to your day. Consider chemical peels if you want to reduce the appearance of:
- Fine lines or wrinkles
- Uneven, blotchy skin tone
- Sun damage or scaly, rough skin
- Acne or acne scarring
- Freckles or spots
- Skin discolorations or hyperpigmentation
To achieve excellent results, you should schedule treatments once every 1 to 2 weeks, up to 6 treatments. Treatments last from 20 to 30 minutes and are tolerated well.
Chemical peels are an excellent choice if you want to revitalize and renew your skin. You deserve to look your best no matter what your age, and chemical peels can help. To find out more about chemical peels, call Dr. Sonya Campbell Johnson at Dermatology Associates, with offices in Indianapolis, Batesville, and Tipton, Indiana. For the Indianapolis location, call (317) 257-1484. For Batesville, phone (800) 303-3228, and in Tipton, call (765) 675-1410. Or email us at [email protected]
Learn about microdermabrasion from your Indianapolis, Batesville, and Tipton dermatologists.
Want flawless skin? Microdermabrasion treatments are the secret to youthful skin. Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure that uses diamond tips or crystals to exfoliate and remove the superficial layer of dead skin cells. Dermatology Associates in Indianapolis, Batesville, and Tipton, IN, offers a full range of dermatological services. Read on to find out what microdermabrasion can do for you.
1. Improve Acne Scars- Microdermabrasion can improve the appearance of mild acne scarring. It is not effective for deeper problems such as deep acne scars. Deeper acne scarring can be treated with dermabrasion. Microdermabrasion is not a quick fix for mild acne scars. People with mild acne scars will likely need multiple treatment sessions to see improvement in their skin.
2. Treat Wrinkles- Microdermabrasion is an effective means of removing unwanted fine lines and wrinkles and it gives your face a refreshed, vital look. Microdermabrasion stimulates the production of collagen, which helps to smooth wrinkles and fine lines. Microdermabrasion is a minimally invasive treatment that delivers fantastic results. It doesn't require anesthetics or surgery.
3. Fix Uneven Skin Tone- Microdermabrasion is used to renew overall skin tone and texture. Increased collagen levels produce stronger skin, which can cause the tone of the skin to appear evener. Microdermabrasion works on all skin types and colors. It makes subtle changes, causing no scarring or skin color change.
4. Get Rid of Acne- Acne is a common skin condition. Patients with acne will benefit from microdermabrasion treatments, which exfoliate the skin and clear clogged pores of dirt and oil. Studies show that microdermabrasion treatments produce a positive effect on the improvement of acne.
5. Repair Sun Damage- Although exposure to the sun is necessary for people to function well, overexposure to the sun can lead to skin damage. Microdermabrasion can treat sun damage, especially sunspots, because it removes the surface layer of skin that has the excessive pigmentation.
6. Treat Hyperpigmentation- Microdermabrasion is used to improve hyperpigmentation. Because microdermabrasion removes the external layer of skin, pigmented areas will appear lighter after treatment. The procedure also speeds up cell turnover to replace the lost cells. Healthier skin cell renewal can reduce the occurrence of further hyperpigmentation problems.
If you want to watch your skin problems disappear from your eyes, contact Dermatology Associates today! Call us at (317) 257-1484 to schedule an appointment for a microdermabrasion session in Indianapolis, IN. Call (800) 303-3228 to schedule an appointment in Batesville, IN. Call (765) 675-1410 to schedule an appointment in Tipton, IN. Or email us at [email protected] Our microdermabrasion treatments will make you look and feel younger and more beautiful.