Acne can be a very stubborn and frustrating condition that may leave you not wanting to take pictures or even leave the house. Luckily, with the right tools and regimen, acne can be a thing of the past. Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Sonya F. Campbell Johnson treats acne from her Indianapolis, IN, office and can assist with clearing your skin.
How To Treat Your Acne
Treating your acne is not a one size fits all solution. There are several factors to consider, such as hormone levels, allergies, and skin sensitivity. Here are some methods that might help you correct your acne:
- Going to your Dermatologist: your dermatologist will examine your skin and give you recommendations based on the condition of your skin and your skin type. One such suggestion may be Accutane, which offers a systemic solution to very persistent, deep acne.
- Salicylic acid: this gentle beta hydroxy acid is also contained in aspirin. It reduces the inflammation of the acne, removes the surface layer of cells, allows the swelling to go down, and the sebum to drain.
- Consider that it may not be acne: again, going to your dermatologist for a skin exam will help to clarify what is going on with your skin. Rosacea, keratosis pilaris, and papular eczema are some of the skin conditions that often look like acne but may need different treatment. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome also is correlated with cystic acne.
What To Do At Home
- Change your skincare regimen: if you have sensitive skin, products that are formulated for normal skin may be too harsh for you to use, especially cleansers. You may also be too rough on the skin, using abrasive physical exfoliants and irritating tools to keep your skin clean. On the flip side, using a too-gentle formula on the skin that needs a more clarifying regimen can aggravate acne as well.
- Remember to refrain from touching your face, change your linens often, and to check the ingredients in your cosmetics and hair products for any potential allergens.
Contact Dr. Campbell Johnson in Indianapolis, IN for consultation regarding acne treatment and a skin exam at 317-257-1484.